Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dear friends, I write to you in an hour of need. Father Leonsyo, a Catholic Priest and a dear friend of mine is a man I've probably told you about. He is a Pastor who works tirelessly to love the Flock given to him in the Parish of Patongo, Uganda. Patongo was once a village, but 25 years of war turned it into a massive camp for internally displaced persons, full of poverty and misery and violence. Since Fr Leonsyo came to Patongo, one of the poorest and most desperate parishes in Uganda, he has made it a habit of getting to know the poorest families in the area, and visiting them regularly in their homes. His influence, his love, and his gift for inspiring, organizing and sometimes convicting people has ever so slightly begun to change people's lives. In his previous parish, Anaka, he organized prayer groups for teenagers, gardening groups for kids of all ages where they learned to farm and raised enough crops to pay for their school requirements, began a charismatic prayer group, and helped a community begin to take their future into their own hands among many other things. I believe (and so does he) that he is Called to Love his new flock in the same way: intimately and empoweringly. But he is in trouble. He has a large family with no means of income, and their destitute and desperate lives which teeter on the brink cause him great pain, and naturally, detract from his ability to tend to the Flock which the Church has given him. An opportunity has presented itself out of "nowhere," however, to end his anguish, torn between the needs of his poor and large family and his Flock. I told him I would talk to my friends and family and see if they can help. I think his own words are best. This is the entirety of an email he sent me, unedited: "Omera [=brother in Acholi] How did you reach home? You return was as ever empowering and inspiring! Thank you for sharing into my life and person. Richard is in school in Patongo, he hasnt been attacked yet, hopefully the drug shall help. Am looking forward to taking him into the hospital as we agreed on June 28th. Did you ever talked to your relatives and friends about the house, am to buy? Any hope anyway? Assure your parents and the entire family my all heart for prayers for you all. Just know that, my dad, mom, Richard, Pamela my niece and Goretti, daughter to Alfred are ill. Goretti with cancer of the pelvic, Balbina-wife to Alfred  and Pamela daughter to Pierina and my sister have a heart illness. Besides they eat just once a day, and am to look for school fees of the family kids. The house project would give a huge support to family food, health and education. This thus, supports my ministry as well, since I wont be stressed with worries always. Pray for me dear brother. Fr. Leonsyo." The house he speaks of is a large unfinished but semi-inhabited building in Pajule near his family's home. The owner recently had an accident and can no longer care for it. She will sell it to Leonsyo for 20,000,000 Ugandan Shillings, but for a downpayment of just $2,500, she will transfer the title to him. There are currently 3 tenants living there, whose rent would immediately start paying off the rest of the house, and helping Leonsyo's family find medicine and food. HIs family of 36 will help to keep uo the building and tend to tenants' needs. I'm attaching a couple links to videos of Leonsyo visiting his Flock and talking about his work and his passion. Please use the button to the right to donate now. It takes seconds, and will change lives forever. When I say this will save several lives, and probably change up to thousands for the better, I do not exaggerate. Thank you, and God bless. Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment